What is Internal Linkins in SEO?
In the Coming year, Internal linking is going to play a vital role. So, the importance of internal linking cannot be overlooked. Gaining link to your website works like a magic factor for your website which can increase the viability of your website. If you can have an optimized internal linking to your website it can bring easy success. Though internal links won’t help to secure external links easier, they absolutely will make the links you earn more powerful for your site. Internal connection works like a magic bullet for link building by directing much-needed link equity to your pages that are inherently less likely to earn links which would be an added advantage. The pages that struggle to gain inks are typically the most important pages on your site: product and category pages etc. While you value your product pages and think they’re crucial, this hardly mean other sites value them. Since these pages are self-serving in nature, they don’t offer the type of value that compels other websites to link to them.
These kinds of links are useful for the following reasons:
- They allow users to travel through a website.
- They help establish information hierarchy for the given website and get proper answer what they are looking for.
- They assist spread link equity around the websites.
Before your content can rank in Google, it requires links. Google will find your posts and pages only when they’re linked to from somewhere on the web/internet. They can establish a hierarchy on your site, allowing you to give the most important pages and posts more link value than other less valuable, post or contents. So having the right internal linking strategy can increase your SEO ranking
Definition of Internal Linking:
According to MOZ.COM , Internal Links are hyperlinks that point at (target) the same domain as the domain that the link exists on (source). In layman’s terms, an internal link is one that points to another page on the same website.
According to Techopedia.com An internal link is a hyperlink that allows navigation from one page in a website to another.
Although Internal links mostly used for navigational purposes from one place to another in a website, Internal links helps the readers to access more information via related articles or pages.
Moreover, Internal links not only play a crucial part in navigation inside a website,
Internal linking is one kind of on-page optimization technique which increases link profile, links strength, page authority of web pages. It helps to direct traffic to high quality, conversions increasing pages, I.e. conversions, SEO, usability, optimization of a website. Internal links available in navigation and body content. Link web pages that have high traffic with high conversion rate.
What is the difference between internal links and external links?
Both Internal and external link building strategies are used for increasing link profile of a website. Links in a website which directs visitor within the website are called internal links. These are commonly used in main navigation. Links from pages on your same site to your contact page are another simple example of internal links.
On the other hand, the links that directs visitor in other websites to your website is called external links. This can be linked up from your website to some other website to give useful information to the readers or it may be linked from your website to the affiliated programs. This external links do not start from your domain name. They are totally separate domain. Although the preferred term of external link is “inbound” links. External links are a great source of visitors to your site only if that link comes from a good quality site (with high DA PA) and related to your niche. The links that come from poor quality sites can result in negative result. So, you have to look for getting quality rich links to your site. For have this kind of good external links, you have to shift your focus on the content of your website.
Why is internal Linking is important?
You can direct link equity from popular pages to the important, conversion-oriented pages on your site by using internal links.
Internal links are important in providing several SEO benefits. When search engine crawlers look for and find your site, they follow the links to discover extra pages on your website. They try to follow these links so that they can discover as many relevant pages as they can find on one visit.
How to create Internal Links?
Internal linking from pages which have high page authority will enhance the ranking potential of targeted pages.
Advantages of using internal links on a website:
- User-friendly and easier for navigation: If you can place internal links properly, it will allow readers easily navigate through the website. It also assist them in finding relevant content and articles in the same webpage that will compel them to stay for long time in your website which ultimately reduce bounce rate of your website.
- Increasing page views and reduction of bounce rate: By placing pertinent internal links, readers spend longer amounts of time on the website navigating through the different pages created which may be helpful for them. This in turn increases the page views in the website. One of the biggest benefits of internal links that, it will dramatically reduce the bounce rate which has already been mentioned in the above paragraph.
- Improved indexing and crawling of the website: If you can use internal linking properly, it will help search engines to easily crawl and index the website based on the internal links. Indexing becomes more easy and convenient by the use of internal links.
- Increase in Page Rank of Website: High quality backlinks placed in one page of website will act as backlink for other pages in same site if internal links are well established.This in turn would help in enhance the page rank for the site and page.
- Improvement in search engine rankings: As your page rank will improve the backlinks and the internal links help in improving a website’s search engine rankings automatically.
- Improve User Experience: When done properly, internal links can appreciably improve user experience by making routing a lot easier. Internal links eradicate the need for them to use a search bar or menu to look for related content or webpages. Rather, they only need to find and click an anchor text and BAM — they already found the additional content they have been looking for.That said, be sure you use the right anchor texts that also provide readers an idea of what the linked page will be talking about.
What is anchor text and How to create Anchor links?
Anchor text is the main tool for internal and external linking. When you add any links to your post or page this shows as a anchor text. Whenever you take the cursor on that anchor text the color changes and after clicking on that text it takes you somewhere else in the same website which you are looking for.
<a href=”http://www.same-domain.com/” title=”Keyword Text”>Keyword Text</a>
Internal link as Anchor Text
Though I have received this kind of question “internal Link as anchor text”. But thing is that, internal links are mainly done through Anchor text. The code example mentioned above, is mainly a code of internal link as anchor text.
Internal links in WordPress :
While you are using wordpress then you can internal links easily just by clicking on the Link tab (showing below). You just need to click on the icon and give the new page link you want to go. And press enter sign and internal link will be automatically created.
Internal links in HTML
In HTML you can create internal link easily using a tag <a. we will be showing the internal link in HTML in below example:
<a href=”http://www.same-domain.com/” title=”Keyword Text”>Keyword Text</a>
Techniques of Internal Linking:
Herewith mentioning some tips for internal link building are as follow:
Using Keyword Research for Internal Link Anchor Texts: I would recommend to use an SEO tool like Semrush for Keyword research for finding related and long tail keyword which you may use for internal linking. Just go to Semrush and open a relevant keyword that matches the content’s topic. This tool should pull up an adequate list of potential anchor texts within seconds. With the use of a keyword research tool, you can determine the competitiveness of certain keyword suggestions that will be proposed. It is very easy the higher the competition, the more difficult it is to rank for a keyword.
Nofollow Vs Dofollow links: All the internal links do not bear the same value. Though they would take the viewer to different places of the website. But search engines treats them differently.
Nofollow links tell search engines that a link shouldn’t pass on link juice to the destination page.
Go Deeper with Your Links
The deeper you suffuse your internal linking strategy into your website, the better your results will be. Though it may seem like a good idea to continually link back to your contact page, or homepage, the truth is that most sites already have way too many of these links for their own good. If you want to build up the overall SEO of your site, then you need to spread your links out to other parts of your website, including corresponding blogs, item pages, and articles.
Try to avoid the most obvious pages on your site that browsers can find relatively easily – and without your constant help. Your navigation menu probably has abundance of links to the pages you want to bring focus to, which is why the best links in your content are the ones that take your readers deep within the structure of your website.
Internal Link Practices You Should Avoid
- Don’t put so many link in one post or page. Don’t use anchor text in every paragraph this will hamper the concentration on your website which will ultimately be bad for your website. This will effect badly on user experience. Never ever force internal links for the sake of internal links.
- Always open the internal links in a newer tab. Don’t open in the same tab as this will make it difficult for the visitor to return.
- Don’t use exact match keyword for the anchor text. This will be treated as over optimization by google which will effect your ranking.
Tools for internal linking
If you are using WordPress you can find some link building tools and will reduce your endeavor. I also use a plugin for building internal links. The name of the plugin is “content links Plugin”. Go to search bar of wordpress and search for content links.
One final Request:
If you enjoyed this article, kindly give it a share. Your share is extremely helpful to spread my message and help more bloggers like you. Thanks in advance.